Saturday, March 27, 2010

My new favorite quote

Last weekend Darin (my husband) and I attempted some alone time at his family's cabin. His grandma has put her favorite quotes all around the cabin. Here is one that really stood out in my mind:

"Quality of life depends largely on Quality of thought." -Author Unknown

The past week I have contemplated how much my thinking has played a part in my happiness. My father used to tell me all time when I was a girl that being "rich" or "poor" was all in the person's mind. When I was younger I used to think, "well, that is easy to say when you do not have any money!" However, it seems the older I get, the more I realize how true this is. As I told this to a co-worker she told me this really cute story that her mom would tell her when she was younger. My co-worker also comes from a large family who was also not so "well-to-do" and her mom would always tell her this story:

"Once upon a time there lived a poor little girl who lived in a big city. Every night at sunset she would look up to the houses on the mountains in amazement with their "golden windows". She desired more than anythhing to live in a house with "golden windows". One day, the girl got very angry and ran away from home. She decided to walk outside the city and travel the long distance to the homes with the "golden windows". It took her all day, but she eventually she got to the top of the mountain. When she got there, the little girl was suprised to see that the houses did not have golden windows at all! She turned around to see the sun setting and to her suprise she saw that her house had golden windows!"

1 comment: